[mythtv-users] Requesting some sample kill a watt meter numbers

Joe Hickey jfwd at phlobus.net
Mon Jan 17 20:44:46 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 3:02 PM, Simon Hobson <linux at thehobsons.co.uk> wrote:
> Joe Hickey wrote:
>
>> My atom-based
>> FE, an acer aspire revo, uses about 20w at idle, and I can shut this
>> down when not in use.  If I could get the BE into that territory, it
>> would save me over $100/year.  Worth it to me.  I'm just trying to
>> gauge how many watts I'd give up if I build something with a real
>> processor.
>
> Could you simply swap it round and make your Atom the master backend and
> have it start up the 'big' machine as required ?

I actually thought of this as I was writing my prior post too.
Something to think about - might be a cheap way to improve the
situation.  There's a few issues that I'd have to work around because
the master be/fe box also runs samba as a general purpose file server,
while the revo has no storage and is off on a relatively slow network
segment.

This made me think of getting a NAS box -- but if I was going to do
that I would rather get something with enough CPU to actually run
mythbackend.  VIA made a barebone chassis for NAS use - the artigo
IIRC - that had a C7-D processor, relatively cheap, very low power,
and could probably run a master backend.  Unfortunately it looks like
it's discontinued :-(.