[mythtv-users] Reference 0.24 netboot silent frontend

Harry Coin hcoin at quietfountain.com
Mon Jan 17 17:08:12 UTC 2011

What is an example of a basic completely silent mythtv frontend-only
system, with remote, capable of 1080p broadcast HD and typical blu-ray
level  playback plus all of mythtv 0.24 main features, that boots off of
a wired 100Mbps ethernet?   Let's call this a 'reference 0.24 wired
frontend'.

Can we offer Mythtv folk a known-good starting place, so as to not
inflict the 'buy-try-disappoint-upgrade-repeat' cycle on people?

Once we get some good content on this one, perhaps next would be
'Reference green wireless frontend'.  Then on to backends.  For now I
think lots of readers would find authoritative guidance as to a netboot
silent frontend configuration very helpful when getting started.   They
can always add a flash-disk to get to avoid implementing netboot at a
bit of further cost.

I hope the readers and activists find this worthwhile, I know I could
have used the help.

Harry