[mythtv-users] Reference fanless frontend, frontend, backend, fe/be

Andre mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Mon Jan 17 13:10:42 UTC 2011

On 15 Jan 2011, at 12:03, Paul Gardiner wrote:

>>> Actually BBC HD recordings look great, and play back perfectly with
>>> vdpau (other than a memory leak, which might not be BBC HD specific).
>>> There was a problem searching within these recordings, because of
>>> a missing case in myth's H264 parser, but that's hopefully fixed now.
>>
>> I've been following the threads, including your much appreciated work on the problem, but BBC HD doesn't play back that well here on three different systems, one vdpau, one osx and one with a huge cpu. I've been away until just recently but hoping to get some time to get to the bottom of it in the next week or so, currently regretting the upgrade to 0.24, I wouldn't mind the nagging audio problems back now!
>
> I can't comment on software decode, but clearly vdpau/mythtv can handle
> BBC HD because it works for me. What problems do you see? Have you tried
> minimyth?

I see periodic pauses, usually on fast pans or big scene changes, if I jump back to before the pause I don't get a pause again in the same place so it's not the recording. It's worst on BBC HD but I also see it on other channels including SD. I tried running with --verbose playback,audio,nodatabase and it's a lot worse so now I'm suspecting NFS or general network problems, if I log to /dev/null it's better again but still not completely clean.

I saw a lot of these log entries at the times of the pauses and not at any other time:

2011-01-16 21:12:44.451 AFD Warning: Audio 565 ms behind video but already 180 video frames queued. AV-Sync might be broken.
2011-01-16 21:12:44.491 AFD Warning: Audio 605 ms behind video but already 180 video frames queued. AV-Sync might be broken.
2011-01-16 21:12:44.530 AFD Warning: Audio 645 ms behind video but already 180 video frames queued. AV-Sync might be broken.
2011-01-16 21:12:44.571 AFD Warning: Audio 589 ms behind video but already 180 video frames queued. AV-Sync might be broken.
2011-01-16 21:12:44.611 AFD Warning: Audio 629 ms behind video but already 180 video frames queued. AV-Sync might be broken.
2011-01-16 21:12:44.651 AFD Warning: Audio 669 ms behind video but already 180 video frames queued. AV-Sync might be broken.
2011-01-16 21:12:44.691 AFD Warning: Audio 581 ms behind video but already 180 video frames queued. AV-Sync might be broken.
2011-01-16 21:12:44.731 AFD Warning: Audio 621 ms behind video but already 180 video frames queued. AV-Sync might be broken.
2011-01-16 21:12:44.773 AFD Warning: Audio 149 ms behind video but already 180 video frames queued. AV-Sync might be broken.
2011-01-16 21:12:44.811 AFD Warning: Audio -35 ms behind video but already 180 video frames queued. AV-Sync might be broken.

I also changed audio from motherboard spdif to the GT220 HDMI and that appears to have slightly improved things too.

The network is two netgear gigabit switches connected by a 30m cat 6, one switch in the office with the backend and various servers & desktop pcs attached and the other in the living room with slave backend/frontend and PS3, Apple TV etc. attached, no indications of a general network problem.

I haven't tried minimyth but as the frontend is netbooted that would an easy thing to try.

My Projector is off for warranty repair right now so I'm a little limited in what I can properly test, I only have a horrible little LCD from the office to watch right now and that has a fixed 60hz scan, it accepts 50hz input but the lcd scans at 60, yuck! This is why I haven't followed up the thread I started about this problem.

Andre