[mythtv-users] Myth and PS3

Greg greg12866 at nycap.rr.com
Sun Jan 16 23:59:25 UTC 2011

On 01/16/2011 03:52 PM, Andre wrote:
> On 16 Jan 2011, at 18:50, Douglas Peale wrote:

>>> This is incomplete, insufficiently detailed and the support changes subtly with every new firmware release!

>>> I have a PS3 and it can work very well with Myth but there are a few gotchas. It will play AC3 audio in a H264 stream provided the recording is a transport stream (not program stream) or an mpeg4 stream (mp4). It will play most direct off air recordings from satellite, cable or terrestrial, if you can get your system to record that it will be fine. As Sony sell the Play TV and Torme adapters transport streams will always be the best supported format as these must be maintained for those products.
>>>
>>> One of the gotchas is the PS3 seems to always choose the first audio in the stream rather than the correct one! Maybe there is a second narration audio that's silent a lot of the time, that been a common post on here wrt the PS3. The audio button switches audio streams, or the music note from the pop up menu.
>>>
>>> For the HDPVR stuff I don't know it well enough to know if it can be configured to directly make a transport stream or an mp4 but that would be the best solution, otherwise ffmpeg or mencoder can make mp4's and tsmuxer can make transport streams, ffmpeg's transport streams used to be unplayable (by just about anything) but I think there has been some improvement in recent commits.
>>>
>>> Andre
>>>
>> How did you get lip sync to be reliable? When I was trying to use the PS3 to play video, the audio would change sync every time
>> the fast forward or rewind button was hit.
> I've never seen that problem, only time I lose lip sync is when there is a glitch in the recording, then a quick pause&  play gets it back in sync. There are occasional times when sync is out but that seems to be specific programmes and is the same on all playback methods, it happens a lot less recently and it's mostly one provider!
>
>> The PS3 also has a nasty habit of quitting out of video with an error message at the slightest glitch in the data.
> Or locking up solid, seems to happen more often when it's playing ac3 audio tracks!
>
> I mostly use a Myth frontend these days...

I decided to not use my PS3, instead am using a Patriot Box office that
I bought last year and never really used..I bought it on sale for around
$60..It took a bit to figure out what to do to get it to work,but
I have it running now and so far it plays every thing...

Thanks for your reply on the PS3...