[mythtv-users] IR Remote, OpenSUSE, and weirdness

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Fri Jan 14 18:13:46 UTC 2011

On Jan 12, 2011, at 10:34 PM, Robin Smith wrote:

> Thanks for the reply
>
> > What kernel is this? The in-kernel quirking of all imon devices was
> > added prior to 2.6.32 (in July of 2009).
>
> I am running 2.6.31.5-0.1-desktop
>
> >> Now, lsusb shows:
> >> Bus 006 Device 002: ID 15c2:0042 SoundGraph Inc.
> >> Bus 007 Device 003: ID 15c2:ffdc SoundGraph Inc. iMON PAD Remote Controller
> >>
> >> The Veris is the 15c2:0042. Progress.
>
> > Wait, you have *two* distinct imon devices there. That's a recipe for
> > an adventure, assuming both have IR receivers...
>
> That's why I posted the two... I did not think the iMON PAD Remote had an IR receiver (certainly without the Veris plugged in the number presses do not appear in myth...), but upon a little digging, maybe it does... The case is a Silverstone LC16M (http://www.silverstonetek.com/products/p_contents.php?pno=lc16m&area=usa) that I bought a couple of years ago. That link implies it does since the case came with a remote (which I forgot - the only remote I used before was with the Hauppauge IR receiver (using the lirc_i2c driver). So I guess the IR port just never showed up before as I was not using the lirc-imon driver.

Yep, that would do it.

> > Based on your lircd.conf, it looks like you've
> > got lirc_imon in play there, but its newer than 0.8.5 if you're seeing
> > mouse movement (could be a result of that 0.8.7 vdr package).
>
> I am pretty sure the lirc_imon would be 0.8.7. If lircd --v returns 0.8.7, would that mean all the components are at 0.8.7?

Not necessarily, kernel-space and user-space aren't strictly coupled.

> > Actually...
> > if memory serves, there *was* a time where lirc_imon was able to operate
> > as a pure input layer device and as an lirc device. So I bet what you are
> > seeing w/the keypresses w/o lircd running is that. But really, that is
> > basically unsupportable driver code now.
>
> Is there a way to disable this feature?

iirc, yes, check 'modinfo lirc_imon' output.

> > Not sure what to suggest as a
> > remedy though, other than a less crufty distro (or at least a much newer
> > kernel). The linuxtv.org media_build backport stack might be an option, if
> > your kernel isn't *too* too old.
>
> Can you expand on what you mean here?

Basically, its a way to run the latest upstream v4l/dvb code slated to be
included in the next upstream kernel on an older kernel. Requires building
and running an entire new v4l/dvb (and IR) stack.

However, seems you've now upgraded to openSUSE 11.3, so the situation is a
bit different now, and much of my reply is obsolete. ;)

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com