[mythtv-users] Flag to allow channel change script to know whether you're watching Live TV?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Jan 14 17:43:33 UTC 2011

On 14/01/11 16:26, Ronald Frazier wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 11:03 AM, Mike Perkins
> <mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk>  wrote:
>
>> ...and in case anyone suggests it, sending 'TV' when there's no menu or OSD
>> on the screen will display the OSD. Yes, this damn button, as well as being
>> a sure-fire means of escaping out of any menu, is also a toggle button :(
>
> So, pressing TV would get you to one of two possible states. Is there
> any other key that can safely exit you out of that particular OSD
> without any side effects? If so, than as a fallback option, you could
> send the TV signal to exit out of anything else, and then a second key
> just in case the TV key actually opened an OSD. Not elegant, but if
> nothing else works it would be a fallback option.

That's the whole point, there isn't. 'TV' when used on it's own toggles the "Now
and Next" OSD on and off... I haven't found any reliable way of returning a
Virgin box to a known state. Every single button is a toggle.

Thinking about it, there might be one possible way, but it may depend on exactly
which box you have.

If the box is displaying the OSD and you press "Up channel" or "Down channel"
the channel will change*... and the OSD gets converted into the standard one
that gets displayed when the channel is changed, which means it will disappear
after the preset number of seconds.

May be worth some experimentation. It won't help if you have the guide up
though, you'll still get the channel displayed in a PiP window as per OP.

*Of course, if you change channel this way you may land on one you're not paying
for, which will result in a modal dialog box you can only clear with the OK
button...

--

Mike Perkins