[mythtv-users] Flag to allow channel change script to know whether you're watching Live TV?

Dave Pearson lists at the-pearsons.co.uk
Fri Jan 14 16:23:02 UTC 2011

On 13/01/11 22:14, George Galt wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 8:27 AM, Michael PARKER<michael.parker at st.com>  wrote:
>> Does anyone know of a convenient way for my channel change script to determine whether it has been invoked from a Live TV session?
>>
>> I'm trying to incorporate some functionality into my script to "clean up" any OSD elements (TV guide, favourites etc.) on my STB output before beginning a scheduled recording. Given that the detection and correction of unwanted elements takes a few seconds, I'm keen to only use it for scheduled recordings and not for every channel change in Live TV.
>>
>> I guess that looking for a Live TV start-up message in the backend log might suffice, but would appreciate thoughts etc. on a more elegant approach. Could a flag even be made available via the channel change call from Myth, much in the same way the channel.freqid is passed?
>>
>> There's a limit to how much TV you can watch through a minute PiP window because the wife inadvertantly pressed the Guide button on the remote before heading off to bed....
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>>
>> Mike

> Mike:
>
> You might want to do a quick search of the archives, but IIRC sending
> an "exit" button press to the STB does nothing unless there is
> something to exit from.  I issue it in my channel changing script and
> it seems to work fine -- though I don't use live TV.
>
> George

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but I needed a way of
ensuring that myth would only change channels on my Sky+ box if it was
due to start a Recording (so as to avoid upsetting my son if I
inadvertently started watching a SKY+ channel).

I did this by using the mythtv "System Events" - I got the "Recording
Pending" Event (which occurs about 4 times prior to a recording
starting) to set a flag in a file to "True". My channel change script
reads this and, if the value is "True" it will send the IR commands to
change the channel, then reset the flag to "False".

If I genuinely do want to change the channel if Im watching LiveTV
through myth, I just pick up the SKY+ Remote and do it manually.

You do still have the problem of ensuring that your Virgin Box is at a
known starting point (with the SKY+ box, I just send a couple of
"BACKUP" commands) so that your channel change script will do the
correct thing.

Regards,
Dave.