[mythtv-users] Simultaneous analogue (analog) and S/PDIF output

Alex Butcher mythlist at assursys.co.uk
Fri Jan 14 15:19:43 UTC 2011

On Fri, 14 Jan 2011, Richard Shaw wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 9:04 AM, Alex Butcher <mythlist at assursys.co.uk> wrote:
>> To be fair, I suspect all this stuff probably ought to be resolved at the
>> ALSA layer (e.g.  by having the standard sound API require apps send E-AC-3
>> or something to ALSA), but it isn't, so we have to make do with what we
>> have.  Oh well, there's the opportunity for the next Linux sound system
>> re-write.  :-)
>
> I'm a lurker on the pulseaudio list so I'll add my $0.02...
>
> I'm not sure when it will be generally available but there is a lot of
> work going into making PA handle passthrough audio streams properly.
> Of course Myth disables (suspends) PA unless you set an environment
> variable to allow it but that may change as PA gets more stable.
>
> In the future I can see someone writing a "dvd audio" plugin for PA so
> that it acts just like an appliance where regardless of input type you
> get audio on both analog and digital outputs.

Interesting. I'll look out for it on my next MythTV build in five years or
so! :-)

> Not that that helps you today...

I'm patient; I've put up with odd double-scanned half vertical resolution
output on my TV for the last four years or so of running MythTV.  I'm
pleased to see that between the VGA card upgrade (from a 440MX to a 7600GT),
the nVidia driver upgrade, and MythTV upgrade, it can now do full vertical
resolution Xv with interlaced low pixel clock modes.  :-)

> Richard

Best Regards,
Alex