[mythtv-users] will this TV work for me?

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Thu Jan 13 22:14:10 UTC 2011

I am wanting to replace my Mythbox's 17" CRT monitor with one of these TVs:

  http://www.dynexproducts.com/products/televisions/DX-22L150A11.html

It's Best Buy's house brand.

It has a VGA input, which is all I have for output from my nVidia 6200
card, and the specs seem to indicate the TV will take what my card is
putting out to the CRT already.

The TV is E-EDID compliant, and suggests scan rates like I use now. Is one
rate bettter than others? I don't care what computer resolution is best and
can adapt what little desktop activity I do with the machine.

Right now my Xorg.conf uses:

Section "Monitor"
 ### Comment all HorizSync and VertSync values to use DDC:
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
        ModelName    "IBM E74M"
        DisplaySize  320        240
        HorizSync    30.0 - 71.0
        VertRefresh  50.0 - 160.0
        Option      "UseEdidDpi" "FALSE"
        Option      "DPI" "100 x 100"
EndSection

Section "Device"
        Identifier  "Videocard0"
        Driver      "nvidia"
        VendorName  "Videocard vendor"
        BoardName   "nVidia Corporation C51 PCI Express Bridge"
        Option      "HWCursor" "off"
        Option      "NoLogo" "True"
#       Option      "CoolBits" "1"
        Option      "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
        Option      "DPMS" "False"
        # From http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/XvMC
        #
        Option      "UseEvents" "True"
        Option      "XvmcUsesTextures" "False"  # necessary for color
Chromakey OSD)
        Option      "NVAGP" "1"                 # some users report 2 or 3
works better
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     16
                Modes    "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
                Modes    "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Does this seem like a decent plug-and-go replacement? What will I need to
change? I have a day of recording inactivity before the weekend NFL playoff
games so I have time to tinker and revert if I need to.

Thanks!