[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend memory leak?

George Poulson george.poulson at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 09:51:06 UTC 2011

On 11 January 2011 19:36, Simon Jones <sijones2010 at gmail.com> wrote:

I agree, the frontend seems to use alot of ram, I wouldn't mind if it
> settled at a certain amount, but it seems going in and out of the
> guide and changing channels, all make it eat memory, even not watching
> HD channels it creeps up slowly but it's hard to pin point if there is
> something wrong or it's just holding more memory for stuff it's doing.

I have to agree with Simon here.

I use 'munin' to monitor my systems, so its easy to keep a quick visual
overview of things like temperatures, CPU and memory usage, and spot things
like a blocked vent (someone's thrown a cushion behind the PC  - AGAIN!!)
before things start to go wrong.

If I watch any HD content (quite rare as the difference is barely visible on
my 23" 720p display, plus I can't stream HD to my bedroom (yet!) as its only
on an over-the-mains network connection) I can definitely see memory usage
'running away' to the point where the frontend needs restarting every day or
so to get it back. If I only watch SD then my frontend will happily run for
a week or more before it starts creeping into swap (memory usage does
nonetheless climb steadily)

I've posted some links to some of my munin screenshots here before; happy to
update them if it will help in any way.

George