[mythtv-users] IR Remote, OpenSUSE, and weirdness

Rob Verduijn rob.verduijn at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 09:45:28 UTC 2011

Howdy,

I've been running my antec veris imon pad on opensuse 11.3 without problems
for some time now.
Like Jarod said, you are running some ancient software releases there.
Ofcourse in linux all is possible and it is a rewarding challenge to get it
all up and running in your favorite distro release.
But you could save yourself a lot of headache by upgrading to opensuse 11.3.
Is that an option for you?
Here's the myth howto for 11.3 http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/OpenSuSE_11.3
(There is no mention of the perl devel repo, but adding it saves a lot of
trouble as well.
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/devel:/languages:/perl/openSUSE_11.3/
)

If upgrading is not an option, well you better reserve some serious free
time for debugging and patching

You could start here :
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Opensuse_11.x
Check if you got all the steps they describe there (the ir-remote part
ofcourse).

This is an old blog that I used to get my imon pad to work on 11.2 (more or
less)
http://mythtvblog.blogspot.com/2008/04/mythtv-imon-server-alpha-release-1.html

That same guy has a nice tool called irwatch to deal with remote quirks.
Maybe its usefull for dealling with buggy ir interfaces
http://www.ronfrazier.net/mythtv/0.22/index.html

Again, upgrading to opensuse 11.3 removed all problems for me, no more
patched lirc/lcdproc/kernel for me, the default that came with the release
works fine.

Something that bothered my ir communication was the boot order,
earlyxdm was preventing the starting of lirc and lcdproc for my system
sometimes, so disabling it solved it.
Drawback is that your system will boot a bit slower.

Rob Verduijn