[mythtv-users] Where to find Myth Setup Information?

E. Westbrook mythtv-users at westbrook.com
Thu Jan 13 07:26:18 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 00:08, GZ <gzornetzer.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've also been thinking about what a such an article would look like.  I
> was thinking that it's probably just very useful to provide an article
> detailing the basic problems and initial troubleshooting that new users are
> likely to need.  Things like:
>
> - Can the system see the hardware (checking lsusb / lspci)?
> - Do you have the kernel drivers installed for your device?
> - Do you have firmware files for your device?
> - Is the driver actually recognizing the hardware?
> - Are the correct /dev nodes made?
> - Testing the correct operation of the hardware using other programs,
> particularly mplayer.
>
> Thoughts?  Or is this already somewhere else?
> -Greg

It's occurred to me many times that a troubleshooting flowchart would
benefit the project greatly, much like what a call center might use when
supporting users.  Questions like the above would be ideally suited for
diamond-shaped blocks, for example.

It would be rather easy for all of us to work on one collaboratively
together in the wiki using graphviz (one of my fave mediawiki extensions,
assuming the wiki has it installed, and it's a trivial enhancement to the
wiki if not).  The graphviz extension does support links, so the flowchart
could be well-connected to relevant documentation pages too.

I could probably spearhead it and get it started if there is interest.

$0.02,
EW