[mythtv-users] IR Remote, OpenSUSE, and weirdness

Robin Smith 1canuck2 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 03:34:58 UTC 2011

Thanks for the reply

What kernel is this? The in-kernel quirking of all imon devices was
> added prior to 2.6.32 (in July of 2009).

I am running

> > Now, lsusb shows:
> > Bus 006 Device 002: ID 15c2:0042 SoundGraph Inc.
> > Bus 007 Device 003: ID 15c2:ffdc SoundGraph Inc. iMON PAD Remote
> Controller
> >
> > The Veris is the 15c2:0042. Progress.
> Wait, you have *two* distinct imon devices there. That's a recipe for
> an adventure, assuming both have IR receivers...

That's why I posted the two... I did not think the iMON PAD Remote had an IR
receiver (certainly without the Veris plugged in the number presses do not
appear in myth...), but upon a little digging, maybe it does... The case is
a Silverstone LC16M (
that I bought a couple of years ago. That link implies it does since the
case came with a remote (which I forgot - the only remote I used before was
with the Hauppauge IR receiver (using the lirc_i2c driver). So I guess the
IR port just never showed up before as I was not using the lirc-imon driver.

> > OpenSUSE 11.2 is only at lirc 0.8.5
> Egad. That lirc version is nearly two years old.

The only newer lirc I could find was in that vdr repo, do not know why 11.2
has not updated (even if to just 0.8.6)

> I am lost and confused.

 So am I. You're running relatively ancient software for hardware that has
> a device driver that has evolved a LOT just recently, and you've got
> multiple devices to boot.

I'll remove the Veris and try running lirc with just the iMON pad and see if
I get IR signals back with mode2/irw.

> Based on your lircd.conf, it looks like you've
> got lirc_imon in play there, but its newer than 0.8.5 if you're seeing
> mouse movement (could be a result of that 0.8.7 vdr package).

I am pretty sure the lirc_imon would be 0.8.7. If lircd --v returns 0.8.7,
would that mean all the components are at 0.8.7?

> Actually...
> if memory serves, there *was* a time where lirc_imon was able to operate
> as a pure input layer device and as an lirc device. So I bet what you are
> seeing w/the keypresses w/o lircd running is that. But really, that is
> basically unsupportable driver code now.

Is there a way to disable this feature?

> Not sure what to suggest as a
> remedy though, other than a less crufty distro (or at least a much newer
> kernel). The linuxtv.org media_build backport stack might be an option, if
> your kernel isn't *too* too old.

Can you expand on what you mean here?

Thanks for your help so far. Many years ago (2004?) I built my first MythTV
box using your Fedora Core 2 instructions and it was my first real foray
into linux. Your site was extremely helpful in ramping me up and getting
things running.