[mythtv-users] Can't seem to permanently delete channels

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Wed Jan 12 20:46:18 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 3:08 PM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com> wrote:
>  On 01/12/2011 02:05 PM, Steven Adeff wrote:

>>> You have to pick your poison here.
>>>
>>> Either you use the visible flag, and just make sure to avoid these
>>> channels manually when using LiveTV (which most of us don't use much
>>> anyway), or you need to configure mythfilldatabases to not add new
>>> channels.  Either way you lose something.
>>>
>>> This is one area where mythtv could be better.
>>
>> or just use the --remove-new-channels flag and add new channels
>> manually. I'd rather do this. overall less work.
>> yes, it would be great if the "visible" flag worked for all things
>> Myth, but until someone decides to code that up I'm happy with this
>> solution.
>
> http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/6714#comment:6

That doesn't really add much to the discussion beyond stating that
this is a known issue.

The root of the problem is that while the visible flag works as
designed, it doesn't quite fulfill the need of many users.  What would
be better in my opinion would be more flags on channels so that we
don't have to abuse the visible flag into doing something it isn't
supposed to.  If we had a 5C flag on the channel, and MythTV was smart
enough to not try to tune a firewire tuner to a channel with this
flag, then the situation would simplify considerably.  This would mean
only one video source would be needed for both the analog and firewire
tuners.

Another possibility would be to automatically switch tuners whenever
an attempt to tune fails.  This would handle channels that have
variable 5C status depending on the program.

Eric