[mythtv-users] Simultaneous analogue (analog) and S/PDIF output

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 09:50:40 UTC 2011

Hi

On 12 January 2011 07:59, Alex Butcher <mythlist at assursys.co.uk> wrote:
> That would be perfectly acceptable.

I think we misunderstood each other. I have been consistently
referring to the numerous other threads discussed this in the past 2
weeks where I have repeated several times the procedure on how to do
so.

So once again:
Your default output device needs to be a device that you crafted with
the ALSA configuration ; you create a mixer device that will send
audio to both analog and digital device.

Then you set the passthrough override to ALSA:iec958:AES0=6, and check
the StereoPCM flag, and do not enable the 5.1 stereo upmixer..

Stereo will be sent to both analog and digital simultaneously that way.

AC3, DTS and other multichannels audio will be sent to the passthrough
device only.

Now, if your passthrough device is hdmi, and it is connected to a
multi-channels capable device ; then use that alsa crafted mixer for
everything. Do not use passthrough override, do not check AC3 or DTS
and everything will be sent as multi-channels LPCM when required, you
can then use the upmixer too

> *ahem* Are you quite sure it should work as you describe?
of course I'm sure..

I wrote that code.... It's like asking if I'm sure if the shoes I'm
wearing are yellow

(And one more thing, there's no point hacking through the database, I
only ever use the settings, the mysql values you are referring to are
meaningless to me)
JY