[mythtv-users] Need "life without cable" clarification

Richard Morton richard.e.morton at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 14:42:20 UTC 2011

On 9 January 2011 14:36, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-01-09 at 14:29 +0000, Richard Morton wrote:
>> To record cable content for a
>> friend who does not have cable is clearly not a private use
>
> I am confusing threads here?  I don't recall anywhere in this thread
> where there was talk of recording from anything for a friend.  My
> recollection was that this entire thread was about recording for one's
> own personal private viewing -- time shifting.
>
> My comments regarding why recording from an online content provider was
> any different than recording from cable, OTA or satellite was certainly
> within the context of private, personal, time-shifted viewing, not
> copying "for a friend".
>
> b.

I am simply stating the case law (which protects private recording of
broadcasts in the US. The pertinent section is the first paragraph.

 In that case, the Court was called upon to answer whether recording
televised content on a video tape recorder constituted copyright
infringement.  The court found that although technically the act of
recording such content did infringe copyright, it was a permissible
fair use as long as the recorded content was used for noncommercial,
PRIVATE, time-shifting,