[mythtv-users] MythMusic and umlauts in file system *REOPENING*

dargllun dargllun at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 8 10:26:01 UTC 2011

On 06.01.2011 16:43, dargllun wrote:
> On 01.01.2011 10:57, dargllun wrote:
>> Happy New Myth Year Everyone!
>>
>> I noticed that my mythmusic 0.24-fixes installation can't handle tracks
>> with umlauts in the file name or directory hierarchy anymore. This
>> worked with 0.23-fixes.
>>
>> To test this, I cleared the entire music db by moving all content away
>> from /var/lib/mythtv/music/, and rescanned. Then I moved a directory
>> having an umlaut in its name back into the collection and scanned again:
>
> There was some discussion on the list yesterday wrt cleaning MythMusic's
> db. It seems like just emptying the music collection and doing a rescan
> is not enough. You also need to truncate the corresponding db entries
> (music_{songs,artists,albums,genres}). I used phpMyAdmin to do that.
> After enabling the collection and a rescan everything was there,
> including the albums with umlauts.

Unfortunately I did not test this thoroughly enough: while the DB looks
now all well and sanely populated, the MythMusic plugin is still not
able to locate any MP3 with Umlauts in their names (such albums by
Röyksopp or Céline Dion), I'm getting an error -2 in the log and on the
screen, and playing stops. This sucks majorly - what can I do about it?

Is there any relevant setting to make in Myth or the DB, with regard to
character encoding (UTF, ISO, ...)?

This has become a complete show stopper for listing to our Music
collection, and WAF is beginning to drop.

Thanks for any assistance!

Greg