[mythtv-users] HDhomerun - Channel setup howto?

john.baab at gmail.com john.baab at gmail.com
Sat Jan 8 05:56:55 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 11:53 PM, Harry Devine <lifter89 at comcast.net> wrote:
> On 01/07/2011 11:31 PM, David Rees wrote:
>
> I just got a HDhomerun the other day and am in the process of setting it up.
>  Going to be using it to record the unencrypted channels off my cable
> connection.  Currently using two PVR-250s to also record analog content -
> but after watching a bit of HD content on my roku I've been spoiled so had
> to get some more HD content!
> I feel like I'm missing something in the setup.  Here's what I've done so
> far:
> 1. Scanned channels using HDhomerun windows utility.
> 2. Gone to schedulesdirect.org and added a new digital lineup with only
> channels enabled that are sent in the clear.
> 3. Run mythtv-setup, added tuners, assigned to new digital lineup.
> 4. Ran channel scan.
> Now this where I got a bit list - during the channel scan I just added all
> channels that it said it found (found 3 different groups, IIRC).  Looking at
> my channel list now I have all these strange channels - none of which match
> up with the SD lineup.
> Now, I kind of assume that just need to go through and edit the channel
> lineup manually so it matches the SD lineup and then the proper schedule
> will start showing up.  Then I can adjust channel priorities to my desire so
> that HD content is preferred over SD content.
> Seems like a bit of a PITA - and I only have a couple dozen channels to do.
>  How can I help ensure I've got the right channels?
> Thanks
> Dave

> I just re-did my setup, and when I scanned my HDHR, I got the same channels
> back.  They are the digital streams coming across (i.e. stream 79.2 will be
> shown as 79_2, etc.).  I would highly recommend going to the SiliconDust
> website and download the hdhomerun_config_gui application.
>
> Compile and install it, and when you run it. take the time to go thru each
> channel and stream, and jot down what the channel is in relation to your
> area.  Once you have that, you can go to SchedulesDirect and look at your
> lineup for the HDHR.  When you hover over each channel, you will be shown a
> tooltip that has the xmltvid for that channel.
>
> Using the Mythweb channel editor (I did that; I just find it so much
> easier), I changed the strange channel number to one that meant more to me
> (i.e stream 81_5 become channel 231, etc.).  There is a field for the
> xmltvid.  I also clicked the checkbox to delete any channels that I didn't
> need/want (I had some music channels and channels like Home Shopping
> Network, which I'd never record).  Save those changes, and when
> mythfilldatabase runs next, it should pull in listings for those channels.
>
> Hope that helps!
> Harry

My method was somewhat similar.  I use a full digital lineup for my
firewire/HDPVR.  I then create a new source for HDHR, scan for
channels and let them populate.  After that I used mythweb and match
the XMLTVIDs for my HDHR channels to the same IDs in my HDPVR source,
then everything should fill in after mythfilldatabase is run (I think
you need to --dochannelupdates flag).

It has been quite a while sine I have done this so I'd be interested
to know if there is a better way, but as far as I am aware there
isn't.