[mythtv-users] New server + gigabit lan recommendations needed

Nelson Tang nelson at tangspace.com
Fri Jan 7 19:37:59 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 11:21 AM, Tom Lichti <redpepperracing at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Fri, Jan 7, 2011 at 1:35 PM, Bobby Gill <bobbygill at rogers.com> wrote:
> > I have been using an old box with a P4 3.4ghz/1.2gb ram/2 sata slots and
> > just 500gb+320gb (I'm a canuck and still rockin' the pvr-150's hehe) as
> my
> > mythBE, but now I'd like to get a new server going in preparation for
> > getting HD later this year.
>
> I don't see why you need to upgrade at all? That backend should be
> fine. How are you going to capture HD?

I'm also using a Pentium 4 3GHz with a dual HDHR and it works fine for
capturing HD.  The only time I think about upgrading the server power is for
transcoding.  I'm toying with the idea of upgrading to a Core i5 and seeing
if I can do real-time transcoding to support on-demand streaming to my iPod
Touch.

The network I agree is worth upgrading,

I also am using a pair of WRT54Gs to connect my BE and FE but I recently
picked up an Asus RT-N16 and am trying to upgrade as well, but I ran into a
problem with using it as my main router (keeps dropping the DHCP to my ISP
for some reason).  After I get that solved, I'm going to run ethernet
through my house (to hard-wire the BE and FE together), and cross my fingers
that using 802.11n will be fast enough to stream HD to my laptop.

--nelson