[mythtv-users] New server + gigabit lan recommendations needed

Bobby Gill bobbygill at rogers.com
Fri Jan 7 18:35:46 UTC 2011

I have been using an old box with a P4 3.4ghz/1.2gb ram/2 sata slots and
just 500gb+320gb (I'm a canuck and still rockin' the pvr-150's hehe) as my
mythBE, but now I'd like to get a new server going in preparation for
getting HD later this year.

1. I'm curious what's the better path: Build a server from scratch and
grabbing the mobo/ram/drives/cpu/etc. separately, or getting a premade one
like these:
http://www.newegg.ca/Store/Category.aspx?Category=271&name=Servers

2. Whichever choice is best for #1, I'd really appreciate some
recommendations on parts, specifically motherboard.

3. I have a WRT54GS and need to get gigabit LAN going. I only have my mythBE
and desktop which acts as my FE wired to the router, other computer and
laptop in the house are wireless so I don't need anything with more than 4
ports, I'd appreciate any recommendations on a gigabit router from y'all.

Thanks for any help, I'm just quite out of the loop with hardware as I
haven't needed to upgrade anything in ages :)

Bobby