[mythtv-users] Need Help: HD-PVR IR Blaster [SOLVED....SORT OF]

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Fri Jan 7 15:02:58 UTC 2011

On Jan 6, 2011, at 11:35 PM, Martin Lynch wrote:

>> My thought was that this problem had been hacked around in lirc 0.9.0, but
>> it was actually a change in 0.8.7-pre2 or pre3 I was thinking of:
>>
>> http://lirc.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=lirc/lirc;a=commitdiff;h=46cbaaf3586c4465db8e81b37637b322d5832b5e
>>
>> I only just now had a chance to look that up though, and you may have been
>> hitting something entirely different, I dunno right now.
>>
> Many thanks for the response, Jarod - I know you're a very busy guy, no doubt more so since you've taken over LIRC! My questions below are pretty low priority, now that I have my system running solidly, so feel free to drop them way down your priority list - I'm just curious at this stage to learn more about the mechanics of LIRC.
>
> That's very interesting re: LIRC version, because I'm running 0.8.6.

Oh. Crap. I'd assumed you were using 0.8.7-pre3 w/Ubuntu 10.10.

> I had a look at the code you link to, but it went well over my sorry head - what is the meat of the problem with 10 digits? Is it in fact a conversion-to-signed-integer issue?

2,149,187,584 is greater than (2^31) - 1, aka 2,147,483,647, which is
the upper bound for a positive number stored in a 32-bit signed integer
variable.

> Out of curiosity, is there anywhere I can learn what these represent and what values are considered "in range":

This sums it up pretty well:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Integer_(computer_science)

Basically, that one value was larger than the upper bounds a signed integer
variable can store. Later lirc code is using an unsigned integer to handle
that value, which doubles the upper bound of possible values, as half the
variable's possible values are no longer used for negative values. You now
have an upper bound of 4,294,967,295 (aka (2^32) - 1).

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com