[mythtv-users] HDHomerun Prime update

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Fri Jan 7 01:31:40 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 6, 2011 at 7:41 PM, Martin Goulet <mgoulet at chicagogsb.edu> wrote:
> On 1/6/2011 6:55 PM, Justin Johnson wrote:
>>
>> Just FYI, as I think there's probably a great many people on this list
>> waiting with bated breath for news
>>

>> http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/06/hands-on-with-the-hdhomerun-prime-cablecard-tuner/
>>
>> > From the post:
>> "Now look what we have here, the long awaited HDHomeRun Prime triple
>> CableCARD tuner for Windows 7 Media Center. Originally announced at
>> CES last year, the little black perforated box is already in
>> production and will soon be selling for $250 after it makes it ways
>> through the final stages of CableLabs certification. The sad fact is
>> there is no way to know when that cert will be sealed, but when it is
>> you'll be able to pre-order and then you can expect to receive it 30
>> days later. The other little tidbits we picked up from the booth is
>> that SiliconDust is working on a six tuner rack mountable version that
>> should ship later this year and that the ATSC and QAM version we've
>> loved for years has a new case a new price of $129 and will be
>> shipping in February."
>>
>> tl;dr Prime for $250; in production but no pre-orders yet. Rackmount
>> version could be available later this year with six tuners. ATSC/QAM
>> models get refreshed in February for $129.
>>
>> --Justin Johnson
>>

>So will there be MythTV capability for this any time?  I'd love to get rid
>of my Cable boxes, even if I have to rent a Cable Card.

Yes, but only channels/shows set with the Copy Free flag will be
recordable in MythTV. Without the required DRM assurance the device
will not be allowed to send those channels to the computer. So
basically what you can get with a firewire connected cablebox, but
with, hopefully, 100% tuning and recording accuracy.

This won't replace the HD-PVR necessity for most people.

I will get one as I currently have two firewire connected cable boxes
and get a fair number of channels Copy Free (I'm on Comcast), so this
would be a net savings fairly quickly.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!