[mythtv-users] HD-PVR no audio (aac instead of ac3 on SPDIF)

Michael Rice mikerice1969 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 6 02:54:54 UTC 2011

Since upgrading to Fedora 14 and .24-fixes I am getting some
recordings without audio.

The log shows that it thinks it is aac instead of ac3:

Stream #0 pid(0x1011) type(video-h264  0x1b)
  Registration Descriptor: 'HDMV' Blu-Ray A/V for read-only media (H.264 TS)
 Stream #1 pid(0x1100) type(audio-aac  0xf)

A correct recording would be:

 Stream #0 pid(0x1011) type(video-h264  0x1b)
  Registration Descriptor: 'HDMV' Blu-Ray A/V for read-only media (H.264 TS)
 Stream #1 pid(0x1100) type(audio-ac3  0x81)
  Registration Descriptor: 'AC-3' ATSC audio stream A/52

It seems to be happening in about 5-10% of my recordings but later recordings
with the same tuner seem to record fine.

I didn't have this issue with Fedora 12 and 0.22-fixes.

There was a thread on this in July but it wasn't clear if there was a solution.
I have my Motorola cable boxes locked at 720p and just use 6200ch to
change channels with firewire.  I never had to have a sleep in my channel
changes but would adding that help here?  Any other ideas to resolve this?

I build from source so if someone has an idea on how Myth could detect this
and restart the recording I'd be interested.  Or even detect it and abort the
recording.  At least in that case I'd have a chance to restart the recording
myself before it is over.