[mythtv-users] seeking upgrade advice 0.20 -> 0.23 backend database

Ross Camm rossco at whyza.net
Wed Jan 5 02:06:46 UTC 2011

I finally have managed to compile and make install .23 under etch in
/usr/local

I still have 0.20 installed via deb packages. I don't want to remove this
as mythtv is a critical household application...sure many of you
understand ;)

would the safest & easiest way to test if 0.23 is going to run and migrate
the 0.20 database be to:

1. stop mythbackend .20
2. stop mysql
3. cp -a /var/lib/mysql /safeplace
4. start mysql
5. start mythbackend 0.23  /usr/local/bin/mythbackend
6. see what works and what doesn't
7. if all goes bad, restore /var/lib/mysql with mysql stopped

since I compiled myself, are myth 0.23 log files and config files also
expected to be found under /usr/local ? I expect so.

appreciate the tips so far...thanks

if this all manages to work I will try 0.24...one step at a time