[mythtv-users] Installing only mythfrontend on Ubuntu

Clay ctmythtv at pacbell.net
Tue Jan 4 18:15:36 UTC 2011

Harry Devine wrote:
> On 1/4/2011 12:43 AM, Clay wrote:
>> Harry Devine wrote:

>>> On the backend:
>>>
>>> hdevine at hdevine-desktop:~$ mythbackend --version
>>> Please attach all output as a file in bug reports.
>>> MythTV Version   : 21b99f1
>>> MythTV Branch    : fixes/0.24
>>> Network Protocol : 63
>>> Library API      : 0.24.20101129-1
>>> QT Version       : 4.6.2
>>> Options compiled in:
>>>  linux debug using_alsa using_jack using_oss using_pulse
>>> using_pulseoutput using_backend using_bindings_perl
>>> using_bindings_python using_directfb using_dvb using_firewire
>>> using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_hdpvr using_iptv using_ivtv
>>> using_joystick_menu using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl_video
>>> using_opengl_vsync using_qtdbus using_qtwebkit using_v4l using_x11
>>> using_xrandr using_xv using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python
>>> using_mythtranscode using_opengl using_vdpau using_ffmpeg_threads
>>> using_live using_mheg
>>>
>>> On the frontend:
>>>
>>> hdevine at hdevine-faa:/usr/share/applications$ mythfrontend --version
>>> Please attach all output as a file in bug reports.
>>> MythTV Version   : 26437
>>> MythTV Branch    : branches/release-0-23-fixes
>>> Network Protocol : 23056
>>> Library API      : 0.23.1.201000710-1
>>> QT Version       : 4.7.0
>>> Options compiled in:
>>>  linux debug using_oss using_alsa using_pulse using_jack
>>> using_pulseoutput using_backend using_dvb using_firewire
>>> using_frontend using_glx_proc_addr_arb using_hdhomerun using_hdpvr
>>> using_iptv using_ivtv using_joystick_menu using_libudev using_lirc
>>> using_mheg using_opengl_video using_opengl_vsync using_qtdbus
>>> using_qtwebkit using_v4l using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv using_xvmc
>>> using_xvmc_vld using_xvmcw using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python
>>> using_opengl using_vdpau using_ffmpeg_threads using_libavc_5_3
>>> using_live using_mheg
>>>

>>> Thanks,
>>> Harry
>>
>> (unless something's changed in 0.24) your 0.23 frontend won't work
>> with the 0.24 backend.
>> Need to get your frontend up to 0.24.

> So should I install the mythbuntu auto-builds on the PC and upgrade the
> front end software that way?  That's how my master BE/FE gets updated
> currently.
>
> Thanks!
> Harry

I'm not running 0.24 yet so I can't say for sure but every release up to
this required all to be at the same release.
Be careful you don't install the master backend package on your slave. I
made that mistake once, tinkering with a box just to see if it would
handle being a BE. It took over master BE duties from my existing BE and
hosed the DB. Fortunately I had a backup of the DB I could restore and
only lost a days recordings.
fwiw, getting slaves to interact with the DB, permissions, etc., has
been my biggest stumbling block over the years.
Recent releases have apparently made this much more seamless.
I bought a laptop for a friend over the holidays and stuck a frontend on
it, just to see how it would perform over wireless. The release in the
repos (Ubuntu 10.04) was just different enough from the release on my
master (JYA's repos) even though they were both 0.23, it wouldn't work.
After fiddling with sources and installing identical release on the
laptop, everything worked automagically.