[mythtv-users] Transcoding Advice

Doug Haber doug at fawnanddoug.com
Mon Jan 3 14:20:05 UTC 2011

Hi All,

I record some cartoons for my son that he watches on a laptop over a
wireless connection.  The recordings (from an HDPVR) are 1920x1080
with 5.1 channel sound and clock in ~2GB per half hour.  This doesn't
fly over our wireless network and I'd like to trim them down.  I've
tried mythtranscode,  which gets them to a workable 300MB, however,
they lose all audio.  In addition, I've read on this list suggestions
to not use mythtranscode and to use something else.  I'm thinking
mythffmpeg since it works on the command line and I can eventually set
it up as a user job.

Does anyone have any suggestions on specific parameters to shrink
these files down to ~300MB (and still be watchable)?

Thanks!
Doug

p.s. I also tried nuvexport, but I'm not sure what codecs or settings to use