[mythtv-users] Play audio input (analog) from external device in myth

Joseph Fry joe at thefrys.com
Sun Jan 2 20:31:04 UTC 2011

On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 12:45 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 2 January 2011 14:08, Michelle Dupuis <mdupuis at ocg.ca> wrote:
> > My friends come over with their iphones (/mp3 players) with lots of
> music, and I would like to be able to plug it into myth to play over my TV,
> etc.  (I know I can use the analog inputs on the TV, but this is more cool)
> >
> > Has anyone done this:
> > 1. Create a screen in myth that shows PLAYING EXTERNAL INPUT
> > 2. Get myth to play music from an analog audio input device
> > 3. Anything else fancy to add...
>
> humm..
>
> get a dock ?

I agree with JYA.  What your asking for borders on being a Rube Goldberg
machine <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rube_Goldberg_machine>... get a
miniplug to RCA cable and plug it directly into your stereo or tv.

If you really insist on the audio going through your PC, you might
experiment with VLC or XMMS.  I know there was once a line-in plugin for
winamp that would allow you to get visualizations for an analog source (I
had a DJ friend using it to run visualizations on a projector while using a
traditional mixing board and turntables for the source), something similar
might exist for XMMS?