[mythtv-users] iMON IR config on Fedora 14 is broken

Todd Brunhoff toddb at nvr.com
Sun Jan 2 19:33:21 UTC 2011

  For some time now, my iMON mini has not worked under Fedora 13, and
after upgrading to Fedora 14, that does not appear to work either.
Various postings (e.g. http://wilsonet.com/?page_id=95) point to the
change in design to the devinput driver and the move from the lirc_imon
to the imon driver. I don't have a complete solution yet, but I have
collected a number of notes along the way. Some of the notes may be
helpful to others, and perhaps one of the notes points to my mistake and
the reason I can't get the imon to work.

    * My primary symptom I am stuck on is that 'irw' produces no output
      even though I can see the IR device winking when I press buttons
      on the remote. I don't see an errors in /var/log/messages and
      lircd is running and reports that it is using the device I
      configured in the next bullet.
    * The preferred setup for the lircd is to specify the devinput
      device by-id explicitly. For me, the devices that appear are
      /dev/input/by-id/usb-15c2_0042-event-if00
      /dev/input/by-id/usb-15c2_0042-event-mouse
      /dev/input/by-id/usb-15c2_0042-mouse
      I cannot find any reference to which one of these devices is the
      correct one to use. Lircd can attach to the first two but not the
      last one.
    * This posting
      (http://mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2010-November/301836.html)
      suggests that ir-keytable could be used to load scancode->keycode
      mappings to the driver. ir-keytable is part of v4l-utils, but none
      of my yum repositories carry that package.   I found some binary
      RPMs for v4l-utils, but they exclude ir-keytable binary. I found
      source for 0.8.0 and 0.8.1 at
      http://linuxtv.org/downloads/v4l-utils/ and I found a test tarball
      for 0.8.2 (http://people.fedoraproject.org/~jwrdegoede/). This
      does not seem quite ready for prime time.
    * The packages above build and include keymap tables for the imon
      (utils/keytable/rc_keymaps/imon_pad and
      utils/keytable/rc_keymaps/imon_mce). However, using the command
      'ir-keytable -w <file>' to load either of these files does not
      work. The imon_pad file loads without complaint, but 'ir-keytable
      -r' shows no keymappings. Loading the imon_mce file produces one
      error for every line that looks like 'Setting scancode <X> with
      <Y> via EVIOCSKEYCODE: Invalid argument'.
    * With the old lirc_imon driver, you could select whether it decoded
      MCE or native iMON codes by including a param when loading the
      driver with insmod or modprobe: protocol=1 or protocol=0. This is
      now set by a parameter in the keymap files, or with 'ir-keytable
      -p <protocol>' where protocol for the iMON is RC-6 to decode MCE
      codes, and empty (?) to decode native iMON codes.

This all makes me think that the imon driver
(/lib/modules/2.6.35.10-74.fc14.x86_64/kernel/drivers/media/rc/imon.ko)
is not fully baked and that I'll have to wait for Fedora 15. Please tell
me I am wrong...

Todd