[mythtv-users] **NOTE**: MythSystem Rewrite

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sun Jan 2 06:02:48 UTC 2011

On 1/2/2011 00:55, Nick Rout wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 2, 2011 at 6:44 PM, Raymond Wagner<raymond at wagnerrp.com>  wrote:

>>> Just for those of us who are interested, but not coders and not
>>> running master, what is the significance of this - I assume it IS
>>> significant, but most of us probably don't even know what
>>> myth_system() does :)
>>>
>>> But all of us sure are interested in knowing what is coming along in myth.
>> The significance of this is that this is a significant rewrite of the
>> handling of every external executable call in MythTV.  While completely
>> transparent to the non-programming user, it is likely to cause unexpected
>> bugs in the code.  This is just a notice of possible problems for anyone
>> running trunk, but not subscribed to the development mailing list and not
>> watching the commit logs.
> OK, interesting if not immediately useful to me :)

The implication is that there were formerly about a half dozen different
mechanisms in the code for calling external utilities.  This migrates
all of those calls into one (hopefully) cross platform class.  It also
adds three new glorious management threads for those of you worried
about mythbackend taking up more threads than your xterm.