[mythtv-users] 2 USB or not 2 USB

kanetse@gmail.com kane.tse at gmail.com
Sun Jan 2 06:02:24 UTC 2011

I've been using a similar Hauppauge USB stick, the HVR-850 without issues
with MythTV-0.23 and MythTV-0.24.  The Linux drivers for the HVR-850 work
flawlessly.  Not too sure about the 950, but I think they might be similar.

As for it getting pulled out my main Myth box sits in an entertainment
centre under my TV, and the USB tuner is connected to an antenna shared with
the TV's ATSC tuner.  Hasn't ever been pulled out (or even come close to
it), especially with all my fiddling with other wires back there.

As a USB device, it's pretty good.  The flexibility is that if you want to
add tuners in the future, you are not limited to the number of available PCI
or PCI-Express slots in your machine.

However, I still see the merits of the internal cards, since you don't have
to worry about overheating issues -- with a warm USB stick possibly setting
a fire if dust gathers on it and it's on top of a mess of cables behind the
machine.  Not that an internal tuner doesn't generate heat issues of a
different type.

Personally, if I didn't have my existing USB stick, I would go for a
dual-tuner internal card.  They don't make dual-tuner USB sticks.  At the
time of my purchase, the HVR-850 was on sale, and I was just experimenting
with OTA signals.