[mythtv-users] HD-PVR IR remote : no /dev/lirc (and other IR receiver questions)

Tom Runner tomj.runner at gmail.com
Sat Jan 1 06:06:54 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jan 1, 2011 at 4:16 AM, Will Dormann <wdormann at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
>
> I'm setting up a new Mythtv box, and I'm having some trouble / questions
> regarding setting up an IR receiver.
>
> I have a Harmony remote with my old mythtv box.  I have it set up as a
> Sony device as it seemed to have the most buttons that can be
> configured. The lirc config file for it begins as:
>
> ---
> begin remote
>
>  name  harmony550
>  bits           15
>  flags SPACE_ENC|CONST_LENGTH
>  eps            30
>  aeps          100
>
>  header       2438   551
>  one          1254   539
>  zero          666   539
>  gap          45023
>  min_repeat      2
>  toggle_bit_mask 0x0
>
>      begin codes
>          stop                     0x130D
> ---
>

> Option 1:
>
> I have a HD-PVR capture device (newest revision, I believe), and am
> considering the possibility of using the integrated IR receiver.  I have
> no need for the blaster, as I control my cable box via firewire.  The
> hd-pvr device is working fine for video capture.  After running modprobe
> lirc_zilog, dmesg shows only:
>
> [ 1653.627751] lirc_dev: IR Remote Control driver registered, major 249
> [ 1653.667113] lirc_zilog: module is from the staging directory, the
> quality is unknown, you have been warned.
> [ 1653.671505] lirc_zilog: Zilog/Hauppauge IR driver initializing
> [ 1653.674872] lirc_zilog: initialization complete
>
> The problem is, there's no /dev/lirc device.  And I think that I should
> see "chip found with RX and TX" in the dmesg output as well (based on
> some googling I've done).  The lsusb output for the device is:
> Bus 001 Device 003: ID 2040:4903 Hauppauge
>
> I'm using the lirc_zilog drivers that come with the 2.6.35-24-generic
> Mythbuntu 10.10 updated OS.  The hdpvr driver is from the hg tree for
> v4l-dvb: http://linuxtv.org/hg/v4l-dvb
> Do I need to be running a different version of the lirc_zilog driver?
>
> Why am I not seeing the lirc device?   I've heard that the IR receiver
> for the hdpvr device isn't the greatest (stability/reliability issues?),
> so is it even worth investigating the problem further?   If I can get
> the receiver itself working, would it be compatible with the above
> Harmony remote configuration?
>

> Option 2:
>
> I've noticed that MCE remotes come with a USB IR receiver.   I should be
> able to use this receiver with the above Harmony remote configuration,
> right?    I have no desire to use the default MCE remote or
> configuration, as I want more buttons.  :)
>

> Option 3:
>
> The ASRock A330ION system I got didn't advertise that it has a serial
> port, but it does have the connector on the motherboard.  With a little
> dremel work, I figure I could add a DB9 connector to the case and just
> [...]
Hi,
Regarding option 1, yes you need to compile the hdpvr module with lirc-zilog
"enable" for that you need to patch the hdpvr source with the following
http://wilsonet.com/jarod/lirc_misc/hdpvr-ir/hdpvr-ir-enable.patch

you may also refer directly to Jarod's website http://wilsonet.com/?p=40

When I did that, it was working the first time. Since then it seems I
screwed my system, re-install it but never got /dev/lirc0 back. Still give
it a try.

Option 2
Yes it should work directly.
I've an harmony one, which was working with a "dirty" IR receiver given with
a first price remote. No need to have the zilog for this.