[mythtv-users] UPnP Clients: MediaMVP HD or "New" AppleTV

Lawrence Houston mythtv at greenfield.dyndns.org
Mon Feb 28 21:04:40 UTC 2011

Robert:

On Mon, 28 Feb 2011, Robert Houghton wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 9:28 AM, Lawrence Houston <
> mythtv at greenfield.dyndns.org> wrote:
>
>> Although the PS3 was working with MythTV 0.23 (Mythbuntu 10.04), an Update
>> "Broke" MythTV's UPnP Server for the PS3's UPnP Client so I resorted to
>> installing the Mythbuntu-repos (AutoBuilds) Package:
>>
>>    http://www.mythbuntu.org/auto-builds
>>
>> I started with 0.23.1, although found I had move to 0.24 (the "Highest"
>> Release available while still running Ubuntu 10.04) to restore the PS3 as
>> a UPnP Client to the MythTV's UPnP Server...  Which is where I am now!!!
>>
>> Lawrence Houston  --  (mythtv at greenfield.dyndns.org)
>>

> Can you be more specific as to what "broke" your the Myth->PS3 UPnP setup? I
> ask because I am  recently having an issue with fast-forward/skip on my PS3
> reading from Myth UPnP, and can no longer play my x264  transcoded files via
> UPnP. If I copy the files to the PS3, then all functions work as expected.
>
> Maybe we see similar problems?

Although when Mythbuntu 10.04 (MythTV 0.23) was first released I seem to
remember having "Problems" where the PS3's UPnP Client would tell me the
Video Files generated by the HVR-1600's Hardware Based MPEG2 Encoders (NO
Transcoding) were incompatible and therefore could NOT be played, although
that problem has been fixed for a while (either through MythTV Updates or
PS3 Updates, Sony also releases updates fairly frequently)...  NOTE: I
have only had the "Dedicated" PS3 for the Living room for about 3
Months...  I have also seen occasional problems when the PS3 is
Fast-Forwarding through the Video Files on the UPnP Server, although I
have NOT seen in a while...

What prompted me to move from MythTV 0.23 to MythTV 0.24+Fixed was 4 GB
"Bug", such that my 1 Hour TV Shows (about 2.2 GB) would play in their
entirety, although the 2 Hour TV Shows (about 4.4 GB) would be "Truncated"
and would only play until an "Artificially" Shortened Length!!!  This was
due to a the MythTV UPnP Server not being able to handle Lengths greater
than 32-Bits when running on a 32-Bit Backend!!!

December I posted about this 32-Bit Issue, where Raymond Wagner pointed me
toward Ticket 8477:

    http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/8477

Lawrence Houston  --  (mythtv at greenfield.dyndns.org)