[mythtv-users] Merge of OSD and Main themes causes WAF to Plummet

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Mon Feb 28 19:58:06 UTC 2011

Dan Armbrust <daniel.armbrust.list at gmail.com> says:
> I mean, seriously.  Show me even _one_ other graphical system, where
> fonts can not be adjusted independently of themes.  Windows?  Linux?
> Mac?

OS X isn't a good example. There is no built-in way to make meaningful
changes to the Aqua theme. Wallpaper? Sure. The size and placement of
the dock? Yes. A couple of colors? OK. Fonts within a web browser?  No
problem. Fonts, font sizes outside applications, button shapes, dialog
box designs? Nope.

This is a good thing. I've been using Linux at home for more than 15
years now. I used it on the desktop for almost a decade, however, and
gladly moved to OS X, thank you. Gnome, KDE, Enlightenment, etc.,
etc., all are terrible. Most of the terribleness comes because, in a
case of misplaced priorities, there are so, so many mediocre
themes--often, in Enlightenment's case, made even more awful via
eyeball-bleeding raytrace abuse--instead of one good theme to focus
on.

MythTV is unusual in that, for most setups, there is no distinction
between the "theme" and the "application" user interfaces;
mythfrontend serves as both. I would very, very gladly give up the
built-in ability to switch themes if that meant that the one
unchangeable[*] UI was perfected, polished, and scrubbed.

For now, I use Mythbuntu with the BlackCurves OSD on 0.23. I haven't
upgraded to 0.24 yet, but when I do I might very well seek to combine
the two themes again. Am I contradicting myself? Not at all; until the
one true UI comes along--something I realize is unlikely in an
open-source project, especially now that the barn door has long since
been opened themewise--I'm going to use the best one I can find. My
point, however, is that too often open source users--including MythTV
users--mistake the ability to change the look and feel as the reason
to do so.

[*] I can see a case for two separate sets of font sizes for the two
user cases of "close-up on desktop monitor" and "10-feet living room".

--
MythTV FAQ Q: "Cheap frontend/backend?" A: Revo, $200-300 @ Newegg
Q: "Record HD cable/satellite?" A: Hauppauge HD-PVR, $200 @ Newegg