[mythtv-users] The same ol' LIRC problems... no irw response [SOLVED]

Dave M G martin at autotelic.com
Mon Feb 28 16:36:05 UTC 2011

MythTV,

The solution to my problem was here:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1598968&page=2

... under the posting by "Ghosty.be".

I followed the steps exactly. Sometimes the output of the commands
returned error messages, and my output for:

lsmod | grep lirc

... was a little different. It looked like this:
$ lsmod | grep lirc
lirc_zilog             16088  0
lirc_dev               11209  1 lirc_zilog

However, I pressed on through all the steps, and in the end, it worked!
I got response from the irw command, and then MythTV also worked.

I also placed lirc_zilog to /etc/modules, which was something I had done
before on my old machine and tried on this one as well. Seems to work,
so I'll leave it there.

Awesome. The new machine is up and running perfectly.

Just in case, here are the instructions. My machine is 64 bit, so I
don't know if these work on 32 bit machines.

- - -

*you need the zilog.diff patch from 10.04 in your home directory
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...og+lirc&page=7
*you need the new lirc_zilog.c in your home directory from
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kerne...52acc9;hb=HEAD
*you need the binary blob haup-ir-blaster.bin in your home directory
from: http://wilsonet.com/?p=40 (direct link:
http://www.blushingpenguin.com/mark/...ir-blaster.bin )

and run:
sudo apt-get install lirc-modules-source
cd /usr/src/lirc-*/
sudo patch -p0 < ~/zilog.diff
sudo cp ~/lirc_zilog.c drivers/lirc_zilog
sudo dpkg-reconfigure lirc-modules-source
sudo cp ~/haup-ir-blaster.bin /lib/firmware

sudo rmmod lirc_i2c
sudo rmmod lirc_dev
sudo modprobe lirc_zilog

now you should see as output for: lsmod | grep lirc
lirc_i2c 7433 0
lirc_zilog 15952 0
lirc_dev 12140 2 lirc_i2c,lirc_zilog

and for: ls /dev/lirc*
/dev/lirc0 /dev/lirc1 /dev/lircd

now restart lircd (and make sure it's configured for a hauppage remote)
sudo service lirc restart

and then run: irw
press some buttons on the remote and this should show something on the
terminal.

- - -

--
Dave M G