[mythtv-users] HD-PVR issues - is there a solution?

Andrew C. Stadt acstadt at stadt.ca
Sun Feb 27 21:03:32 UTC 2011

On 26/02/2011 6:03 AM, Dave Badia wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 7:09 PM, Mark<fairlane at springcom.com>  wrote:
>> 3.  Audio records at 59.94Hz, and video at 60Hz, giving a sync issue over
>> time.  Some people change firmware to fix it, only to return to the same
>> state.  Is this a firmware issue or a myth issue?  Who knows?
>>
> How does one know if they have this issue?  Some of my hd-pvr
> recordings do have lip-sync issues.  Is there something I can look for
> in the logs to see if audio was recorded at 59.94Hz?
>
> Also, I’ll contribute my current hdpvr state:
> ·         Gentoo, 2 hdpvrs on seperate backends - get zero byte
> recording once every few months.  Haven’t noticed any change since
> 0.24 upgrade.  Haven’t noticed more on one hdpvr vs the other.  One
> system has just the hdpvr and IR receiver on the usb bus.  The other
> has 2 usb to serial adapters in addition to the hdpvr and IR receiver.
> ·         Directv is source for both and I use IP to change channels
> which is very reliable ever since I made the script try more than once

I was getting the audio sync issue on almost every recording  (1) on my
HD-PVR for a while, but only when I was using SPDIF, and only off the
satellite box.  When I switched to the RCA Stereo jacks, everything was
fine.  With the differential between the two streams, the audio sync
wasn't obvious in the first few minutes of the recording, but by the
time you got 15 min or more into the recording it was really obvious.
Eventually I got tired of resetting the HD-PVR and just used the stereo
connections - no more problems.  However, about 4 weeks ago, I decided
to try the SPDIF connection again, and haven't had an issue (with audio
sync) since.

I used to have a script that I can't seem to locate at the moment, but
it just testing the frame rate of the file and if it was 60.000 would
fire off an email to my smartphone to let me know.  The actual test
command was something like:
mediainfo $FILE | grep "^Frame rate" | cut -b 36-41

(1) After doing the firmware upgrade on a windows machine, the
recordings were generally fine for a few days before the sync issues
would start.  Once the issues started, they would continue until I
reflashed the firmware.

As far as the OP's other issue inquiries, I've only had issue #2 about 3
times, and never #1.  Unfortunately, 2 of those HD-PVR lockups (halo-on)
have been in the last couple weeks.

Cheers,

Andrew.