[mythtv-users] Merge of OSD and Main themes causes WAF to Plummet

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Sun Feb 27 16:50:16 UTC 2011

On Sat, Feb 26, 2011 at 10:37:36AM -0500, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 2/26/2011 10:30, George Nassas wrote:
> > On 2011-02-26, at 9:02 AM, Robert McNamara wrote:
> >
> >> Both have only been one unit for a matter of months.
> > Matching themes have been available for many years, at least the 6 or 7 I've been using myth. They didn't work 6 years ago, they didn't work 3 years ago, they don't work now. It's an idea whose time never came. I didn't care because it was always easy to make things right.
>
> The simple fact is that independent themes were not a matter of
> intentional choice, but merely a side effect of the design of the
> underlying code.  There were independent engines running the OSD and UI,
> so it made sense to have independent themes.  Now that there is a single
> engine driving both, it would be considerable extra effort to allow
> users to mix and match elements from multiple themes.  There is a way to

   I dunno. From this side of the fence it looks like the all of the effort
needs to be expended making things less flexible. The die has already been
cast and now it takes extra work to undo it. It takes effort to remove
features just like it takes effort to add them.

   The separation may have been an accident but it ultimately worked out
for the best. Stuff is like that sometimes.