[mythtv-users] Merge of OSD and Main themes causes WAF to Plummet

Justin Hornsby justin0hornsby at gmail.com
Sun Feb 27 10:23:11 UTC 2011

So can somebody please tell us in terms of specifics why OSD themes
teamed with the current UI themes aren't up to snuff for them?

Is the text too small? Is there too much info onscreen? Is there not
enough info onscreen? Is the background too translucent?  Que?

I'm just wondering, on the off-chance that somebody might come along &
want to make themes that appeal to you.

FWIW the text size I'm currently using for buttonlists, subtitles &
descriptions is 22 pixels high, with a theme base resolution of
1280x720 (yes I'm still stuck using SDTV & currently have NO plans to
get HDTV). The smallest text is 16 pixels high. I'm not using an alpha
lower than 150 for background shapes behind textareas drawn over
fanart, based on using white text with an alpha value of 255. I'm
starting to question whether I need to crank up the opacity a tad
actually.

What I can't help wondering in all this is that the OSD designed to
complement a UI theme would use an identical style to the same sort of
area in the UI - e.g. the description area of the OSD would be similar
to the description area in 'watch recordings'.  That's what I call
consistency.

Now, nobody seems to be complaining that text in the UI theme is
unreadable so .. if the text sizes of both are the same.. why are
people complaining they can't read the OSD?  Maybe we should all be
using opengl or VDPAU video rendering instead of Xv.. As far as I know
with Xv the OSD can only be rendered at the resolution of the video -
so if the video is 480 pixels high, your fonts aren't going to look
nice at all compared to how they've been intended to be shown - i.e.
NOT rendered & scaled with Xv. Maybe THAT is the real problem here.