[mythtv-users] 0.24+fixes - tearing, /dev/rtc permissions and getting openGL to work

Mike mythtv at dtmc.ca
Sat Feb 26 16:01:30 UTC 2011

On 26 February 2011 10:50, Brian J. Murrell <brian at interlinx.bc.ca> wrote:
> On 11-02-26 10:47 AM, Mike wrote:
>>
>> Thanks for everyones help and commentary on what my hardware can
>> achieve.
>
> I just wish I could get mine to stop tearing as easily as you did.

It wasn't easy from the larger picture for me... I had it working,
Ubuntu upgraded things, I upgraded Ubuntu to the next release... in
the end it wasn't working well.

I gave up and bought new hardware "that must surely work" in the hope
that it would be better supported (I now realise this may have not
been necessary but hindesight is a great thing).

I've also tried to ensure I'm running 'good' NVIDIA drivers and
typically been completely burnt (blank screen/failed to load desktop)
whenever I touch xorg.conf or NVIDIA drivers.  So it was easy in so
far as Composite-fix worked on the ION.  I dont know my tearing issues
prior (on a completely different system) were the same issue.

I realise mythtv is an opensource flexible platform but adoption would
be much easier if there was a central place with some detailed
reference hw & sw platforms that are known to work.  The mythubuntu
distro is a great step to that.  Anyway, easy to ask, harder to
achieve. ;o)

As someone pointed out on the mythtv forums about such pages
discussing 'tearing' and display frame rates there was great
description of the problem and not much about hte resolving them. Up
until this week where I started getting feedback from mythtv
user-group I'd simply read things like "Ubuntu 9.04 works great, use
that version".  This (for me at least) had the penalty of different
NVIDIA drivers which gave me completely different problems with screen
resolutions.  I tried to stick with Nouveau drivers and found those
too were maturing and not ready.  Tricky situation especially if you
can't keep up with the changes and just hit the upgrade button ;o)