[mythtv-users] 0.24+fixes - tearing, /dev/rtc permissions and getting openGL to work

Mike mythtv at dtmc.ca
Sat Feb 26 15:47:01 UTC 2011

On 25 February 2011 03:30, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> On 25 February 2011 14:28, Taylor Ralph <taylor.ralph at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It can't do 1080p but it can do 1366x768p which is it's native
>> display. I would highly recommend you try and get a working 768p
>> output. This will avoid the panel having to deinterlace and scale. By
>> switching to the native (lower) resolution you will get the added
>> benefits of less memory consumption and better performance too.
>
> My experience with those *HD* TV ; is that they would only support
> 60Hz at their native resolution.
>
> If you want to enjoy more refresh rate, you have to use 1280x720 or 1920x1080i
>
> If he's in the US, not having other than 60Hz probably won't bother him

Thanks for everyones help and commentary on what my hardware can
achieve.  I only have to figure out the /dev/rtc permission issue and
oversized desktop to screen.  I will try the newer NVIDIA drivers at
some point.  For now HDTV playback is much better than before with
Temporal 1x for high-motion (hockey) playback.

FWIW I've put a blog entry together for my own memory & possibly to
help others out (and capture some of this information in this thread).
 I've kept notes on this stuff previously but hopefully I can keep
this blog up-to-date with a working system overview.

http://michael.dtmc.ca/blog/2011/02/mythtv/

I also updated a couple of mythtv wiki pages about
tearing/deinterlacing with a couple of sentences about the Composite
issue... hopefully help others towards finding solutions.

Thanks again!
Mike.