[mythtv-users] Opinions on this frontend/backend hw selection...

Ajay Sharma ajayrockrock at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 23:13:24 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 1:53 AM, Anthony Giggins
<seven at seven.dorksville.net> wrote:

> On 25 February 2011 15:31, Brian Kirkman <bkirkman at qwest.net> wrote:
>>
>> On 2/23/2011 8:37 PM, Ajay Sharma wrote:
>> > I hate picking hardware since I don't follow it as close as I used to.
>> >   So I picked a bunch of components that *should* be good for a new
>> > myth backend/frontend server to replace an 8-year-old box.
>> >
>> > Additional notes about my setup:  I have a dish network STB feeding a
>> > PVR-250 so all my content is SD video.  I recently picked up my first
>> > HD television so in the very near future I plan on expanding my setup
>> > with an HD-PVR and yes, an additional STB.  So I need something with
>> > enough meat to handle the HD video.
>> >
>> > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128457
>> > GIGABYTE GA-H55M-S2V LGA 1156 Intel H55 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
>> It doesn't look like this motherboard has an SPDIF header.  I'm not sure
>> if you care about this, but if you're jumping into the HD world, you
>> might also be concerned about Dolby 5.1, etc.  I don't know all the ins
>> and out of this mobo.  Maybe someone with this a similar sound chipset
>> and setup can speak to this.  All I know is that the SPDIF header on my
>> mobo makes hooking the HTPC to a stereo receiver a breeze.  Just
>> something to think about.  Have fun with your new project!  :)
>>
>> > I'd really appreciate your feedback before I pull the trigger.
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>> > Ajay
>> >

> You could do this over the HDMI interface though, I agree though using an
> nvidia card is the way to go, I'm happy with my GT240 but it appears the
> GT430 is the new kid on the block.

Thanks for the feedback, I think I'm going to up the video card to
this fanless zotac GT 430 card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500175

And cut the RAM to keep the costs relatively the same.

As far as SPDIF, this frontend will probably never have a 5.1 system
installed since it's in the bedroom, but I'll keep that in mind when I
upgrade the remote frontend in the living room.

--Ajay