[mythtv-users] Poor quality jerky video playback

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Feb 25 18:33:09 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 25, 2011 at 06:08:18PM +0000, John Pilkington wrote:
> On 25/02/11 14:32, Anthony Rooney wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Having got myth video to be able to read other network drive locations I
> > am disappointed to see the very poor quality playback across the board
> > with all video formats. I have copied some of the video files locally to
> > the Mythbox to rule out network latency issues however the quality is
> > still very poor. Playing DVD compilations in Myth Video does not allow
> > you to just play from the parent directory level and read the ifo file
> > and play back the VOB in the correct order like so many other DVD
> > players . You seem to have to play each individual VOB files which is
> > very useless even through it can play the content if is not presented as
> > a logic package. It does not seem to honour the menu structures as you
> > wouold expect. I’m sure here is a step I am missing that someone can
> > help with. How do you get rid of all the questin marks on the files?
>
> I think some people convert their dvds to .iso format, but I have done
> very little watching of commercial dvds so that may not be the best
> route.  Should preserve menus.  Or get the content with a ripper.

    I dispensed with Menus and default disk structure a long time ago.
Between TV shows and Disney movies, it just didn't seem to make very
much sense to clone entire disks. I just extract main titles and use
(and address them) directly.

    What he's doing sounds very "MCE-ish".

[deletia]
> > second to remove the jerky playback the so degrades the quality? How can
> > some many windows apps play the files well by default whereas Linux apps
> > seem to need fine tuning?
>
> Probably because it's been someone's job to do the fine - or at least
> some - tuning to give some Windows compatibility for all the
> devices/file types that you're hoping to use.  Now you get the
> opportunity to do that - if someone else hasn't beaten you to it and
> shared his/her results

    I think it's already been established that the hardware he is trying
to use is not well suited for Linux HTPC use.

[deletia]