[mythtv-users] Opinions on this frontend/backend hw selection...

Ajay Sharma ajayrockrock at gmail.com
Fri Feb 25 00:14:56 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 6:37 PM, Ajay Sharma <ajayrockrock at gmail.com> wrote:
> I hate picking hardware since I don't follow it as close as I used to.
>  So I picked a bunch of components that *should* be good for a new
> myth backend/frontend server to replace an 8-year-old box.
>
> Additional notes about my setup:  I have a dish network STB feeding a
> PVR-250 so all my content is SD video.  I recently picked up my first
> HD television so in the very near future I plan on expanding my setup
> with an HD-PVR and yes, an additional STB.  So I need something with
> enough meat to handle the HD video.
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128457
> GIGABYTE GA-H55M-S2V LGA 1156 Intel H55 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127454
> MSI N210-MD512H GeForce 210 512MB 64-bit DDR2 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP
> Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115065
> Intel Core i3-550 Clarkdale 3.2GHz 4MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 73W Dual-Core
> Desktop Processor BX80616I3550
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231311
> G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3
> 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBRL
>
> (no drives or a case as I have those already)
>
> I'd really appreciate your feedback before I pull the trigger.

Can I take the silence as a sign of approval?  As in there's nothing
wrong with my config so no reason to respond?  Or has no one read
this?   :)

My real question is the video card.  Is the Geforce 210 good enough?
I figured if paried with an i3 that should be powerful enough to play
whatever I need coming off the HD-PVR.

--Ajay