[mythtv-users] HD-PVR issues - is there a solution?

Ken Bass kbass at kenbass.com
Thu Feb 24 18:48:56 UTC 2011

On 2/22/2011 7:09 PM, Mark wrote:
> I've searched the web high and low for weeks and have yet to get a
> definitive set of answers on the HD-PVR issues as they stand.  Lots of
> people seem to have the same issues.
>
> 1.  Zero byte files - usually requires a reset
I recently setup a 'remote controlled' power strip. Every morning at 4am
(if there are no recording), I power cycle
the HD-PVR (and the connected STB). I have yet to have a zero byte file
since. I've been doing this for 10 days now without issue.

The other problem I had that is not on your list is that I record using
the SPDIF so I can get surround sound recordings. Frequently I would get
recording that
had no audio. For that I added the following to my channel change
script. I have not had another problem. That has been for 12 days now.

/usr/bin/v4l2-ctl --device /dev/video-hdpvr1 --set-ctrl=audio_encoding=4

( of course change the device to your HD-PTR device)

This forces the use of the SPDIF output. I put this right before the
actual channel change and sleep:

/usr/local/bin/6200ch -g $GUID $1
/bin/sleep 4