[mythtv-users] migrating from analog cable to digital cable (Cogeco), recheduling on new tuners and removing existing tuner

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Feb 24 16:16:32 UTC 2011

On 02/23/2011 01:35 AM, Mike McMullin wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-02-20 at 23:20 -0500, Craig Treleaven wrote:
>>>>
>>>   That's good to hear, btw is Cogeco also sending down the analog signal
>>> as well, three tuners are better than two?  ;)
>>
>> Yes.
>
>    Well now I've got signal, I just need to set the input connections, is
> it better to scan for channels, or fetch channels from a listing source?

For analog, if you still have an analog tuner, set up your lineup at
Schedules Direct, and let the box fetch from there. Analog scanning has
been broken for some time and will not be fixed (no reason to do so).

> When I get the the channel scan page, I see the input as tuner one on
> the HDHR, desired services is TV (radio is or is not available?) Scan
> type is full scan, Frequency Table is Broadcast, Modulation is
> Terrestrial (8-VSB), Scanning range is ATSC Channel2 and ATSC Channel69.

Since you are feeding the HDHR from the Cogeco cable (directly I presume
for at least one HDHR input). then the settings are:

Full Scan, Cable, QAM-256 (to start; may be QAM-64), scan from 2 to
whatever.. I do not remember how the scanner treats digital cable
channels. The 'channel' numbers which Cogeco assigns are arbitrary: each
digital stream (10-2, 10-3, 10-4 etc) is given an integer number. You
may find unencrypted QAM channels with numbers into the 200 to 300
range. You will also find lots of encrypted channels!

After dropping the encrypted channels, the best method is to use the
'Preview Lineup' screen at Schedules Direct (using Cogeco Cable Digital
for this), and match up the streams your scan shows as being unencrypted.

IIRC there may be script on the wiki, which you can run which will
record from each tunable channel, and determine if the stream if
encrypted. There are also scripts and instructions at the v4l website.

It's been a while since I have even *thought* about finding unencrypted
QAM channels... it will be 4 years in June since Rogers encrypted
everything digital.

>    I have no idea what Cable HIGH, Cable HRC HIGH, Cable IRC High, Cable,
> Cable HRC and Cable IRC, mean and or due?  Any points?

Different channel <> frequency matchups, mainly differentiated by
offsets from the main channel-every-6MgHz format.

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury