[mythtv-users] How is this pricing possible?

Alex Butcher mythlist at assursys.co.uk
Wed Feb 23 22:26:50 UTC 2011

On Wed, 23 Feb 2011, Rob Smith wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 10:50 AM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
>> No but I see the number increasing on other drives and this usually
>> coincides with drive events either in my system logs or the drive
>> itself.
>
> So the reports based on the numbers fire off when the numbers change.

Not necessarily; I've seen disc read errors in the kernel log, which tie up
with an increase in attribute 197 (Current Pending Sector).  When I identify
those sectors and write to them, attribute 197 goes back to 0 and attribute
5 (Reallocated Sector Count) increases if it was a hard error, rather than a
soft error.

> That seems hardly conclusive that the numbers mean what they mean.
>
> I currently have a seagate drive with this:
> 196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age
> Always       -       25769803776
>
> too bad that's many more sectors then the drive has in reality. But
> hey, keep assuming you know better then Seagate (who tells us to *not*
> trust these numbers).

That's probably because some of those raw values are actually multiplexed
values, and you need to use a binary mask to demultiplex the different
original attributes:

<http://forums.seagate.com/t5/Barracuda-XT-Barracuda-and/Interpret-Raw-SMART-Data-Read-Error-Rate-amp-HardWare-ECC/m-p/45617#M18267>

Best Regards,
Alex