[mythtv-users] Any Debian / Mythtv / Nvidia users here?

Brad Sawatzky brad+mythtv at swatter.net
Wed Feb 23 21:15:09 UTC 2011

On Wed, 23 Feb 2011, Josu Lazkano wrote:

[ . . . ]
> Sorry for all questions, I used to install Nvidia official driver and
> I don't know how to configure the Debian drivers. I don't have
> "nvidia-settings" and I don't know how to test and configure the
> VDPAU.

Your install process looks generally correct assuming a few other
packages were pulled in as dependencies (they probably were).  Here's
what I have installed on my system:
  nvidia-glx
  nvidia-kernel-common
  nvidia-kernel-dkms
  nvidia-libvdpau1
  nvidia-settings
  nvidia-vdpau-driver
I'm still running debian lenny, but the package names are basically the
same.

The missing detail is that you probably have to update your
/etc/X11/xorg.conf file to enable the non-free driver as described here:
  http://wiki.debian.org/NvidiaGraphicsDrivers#ConfigureXtousethenvidiadriver
(Note that that page is a bit out of date.  The dkms stuff you installed
is now the default.  It will automatically take care of keeping the
nvidia drivers and kernel in sync.)

Getting VDPAU working is step two.  I haven't bothered with it myself,
but I bookmarked this link for future reference:
  http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/VDPAU

HTH,
-- Brad