[mythtv-users] How is this pricing possible?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 18:50:41 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 1:30 PM, Rob Smith <kormoc at mythtv.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 23, 2011 at 10:13 AM, John Drescher <drescherjm at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I mean 05 - Reallocated Sectors Count raw value is correct. So is
>> Reallocation Event Count, Current Pending Sector Count, Uncorrectable
>> Sector Count, UltraDMA CRC Error Count. Some other values are
>> definitely not standard but the important counts are correct.
>>
>> Here is an example that tells me the drive had 71 reallocated sectors.
>
> And how did you verify that the drive actually has 71 reallocated sectors?

No but I see the number increasing on other drives and this usually
coincides with drive events either in my system logs or the drive
itself.

The

197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0012   100   100   000    Old_age
Always       -       0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0010   100   100   000    Old_age
Offline      -       0

also are most certainly correct. They behave the same as all other
drive manufacturers on this. I have several dozen of these at work and
I can usually with these 5 SMART values predict failure.

>  I only trust numbers that are documented to be right.

I am just the opposite on this. I trust observation a lot more than I
trust documentation. I have seen far too many technical documents with
incorrect documentation.

--
John M. Drescher