[mythtv-users] Starting mythfrontend remotely via web

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Wed Feb 23 07:20:29 UTC 2011

On 2/23/2011 02:08, Wes Brown wrote:
> Is there some way to start mythfrontend on a computer using just a web
> browser?  I ask because I wrote a webOS app
> (http://code.google.com/p/webmyth/) that can act a remote for a
> frontend once it is started, but is limited to the frontend already be
> up running.  It would be great if the app could just connect to some
> local cgi script that could start up mythfrontend or something similar.

Couldn't you just put a hook into this webmyth_service.cpp application
to fork/execv off an instance of the frontend if none is found to be
running?  You could set it up so it terminates mythwelcome, and
maintains access to the frontend as a child process.  Once the child
dies, start mythwelcome back up, bypassing the whole LIRC issue.