[mythtv-users] How is this pricing possible?

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Wed Feb 23 04:07:36 UTC 2011

Ben Kamen wrote:
> On 2/22/2011 9:18 PM, Jay Ashworth wrote:
>

>> I keep saying it, and everyone keeps telling me I'm full of crap:
>>
>> There is a *reason* why Enterprise-grade SCSI-80 and SAS drives cost
>> *six times* per Gig what consumer SATA drives do.
>>
>> And that's based on 25 years of professional, commercial, anecdotal
>> experience.  :-)
>>

> I've been watching this and other threads about Consumer grade drives.
>
> I currently have a Dlink NAS I like very much that's currently using 250GB drives so far with no problems...
> But from this list especially, I've been worried abou upgrading to the mega drives because of failure rates.
>
> Meanwhile, I have some older SCSI SCA-80pin drives in Compaq Servers (IBM Mechanisms) that have been spinning forever.
>
> (granted, sans the DeathStar line now that Hitachi owns it)
>
> It definitely has me scratching my head as how to upgrade stuff without clobbering my wallet.

Well, you can take advantage of the fact that myth needs high capacity,
low speed.  So get a sackful of 1 GB drives and build a few raid-6
arrays.  I've found that about 3TB is the practical limit of the
technology for SATA in terms of verify and rebuild speeds.  Maybe the
newer controllers are faster, but when time to rebuild starts to exceed
48 hours I get a bit worried.

I run a mix of 400GB, 500GB, 1TB and 2 TB drives, with the 2TB drives
partitioned into 1TB partitions.

Data centers use a lot of spindles to get speed; myth doesn't really
care about speed.  It just needs big slow storage.  Take advantage of that.

--
My car is Japanese. My Vodka is Russian. My pizza is Italian. My kebab is Turkish. My democracy is Greek. My wine is French. My coffee is Brazilian. My language is English. My movies are American. My music is African. My beers are German. My shirt is Indian. My oil is Saudi Arabian. My electronics are Taiwanese. My rifle is Czech. My shoes are Chinese.  My math is Arabic, my writing Latin. And you complain that your neighbor is Mexican?