[mythtv-users] confusion re lirc_imon and lcdproc

Jarod Wilson jarod at wilsonet.com
Tue Feb 22 15:20:20 UTC 2011

On Feb 22, 2011, at 6:23 AM, Vincent McIntyre wrote:

> The box is an Antec Fusion case with an iMON LCD:
> $ lsusb | grep -i imon
> Bus 009 Device 002: ID 15c2:ffdc SoundGraph Inc. iMON PAD Remote Controller
> After bootup I get this in dmesg:
> [    5.251127] IR RC5(x) protocol handler initialized
> [    5.253583] input: iMON Panel, Knob and Mouse(15c2:ffdc) as
> /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:1d.2/usb9/9-1/9-1:1.0/input/input3
> [    5.268547] imon 9-1:1.0: 0xffdc iMON LCD, MCE IR (id 0x9f)
> [    5.285115] IR RC6 protocol handler initialized
> I have read the various wiki pages about lcdproc and have been
> persuaded that I need to load the lirc_imon driver in order to be able
> to talk to this device and do things like display
> output from myhtlcdserver, or just plain old LCDd.
>
> But then I read Jarod Wilson's page about remote controls etc
> (http://wilsonet.com/?page_id=95) which says:
>   Second up, imon users keep being informed by some helpful
> configuration scripts or
>   something that they need to use the lirc_imon driver. Unless you
> have one of the
>   really REALLY old (like, 10 years old, and I’ve only ever
> encountered one in existence)
>   imon device, you now need the imon driver, not lirc_imon, and
> you’re not going to see
>   an lirc device interface for it.
>
> So now I'm confused. Is my case one of the corner cases Jarod goes on
> to talk about?

No. Your dmesg output clearly shows the imon driver binding just fine,
auto-configuring your display as an LCD and everything. (All 0xffdc
devices should be handled by the imon driver now, its even older stuff
that lirc_imon still drives).

> I have an lirc_imon module in the kernel ubuntu provide, modinfo is shown below.
> However when I try to modprobe this module it does not load
> successfully and I get:
> [    5.238233] lirc_imon: disagrees about version of symbol lirc_register_driver
> [    5.238236] lirc_imon: Unknown symbol lirc_register_driver
>
> This is probably to be expected  since the imon.ko I have is from
> media_build.git
> (ie kernel.org with sharp edges) and the lirc_imon.ko is from ubuntu 2.6.32.
>
> Can anyone suggest a way to resolve this? It looks like a bit of API skew to me.
>
> I can't see any sign of lirc_imon in the media_tree.git, or I would
> have tried to build
> & install it.

Its under drivers/staging/lirc/, but its not going to help any, since it
doesn't do a thing for your device.

As far as kernel driver goes, you should be just fine, its all just a
matter of configuring LCDd correctly (which is of course a bit of a mess
depending on what version of lcdproc you have).

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod at wilsonet.com